Smalley’s Poppy

The Smalley Parish Council commissioned a large metal poppy to be made to commemorate the centenary of the great War, to be attached to the War Memorial which stands in the Richardson Endowed Primary School yard in Smalley. This memorial was erected in 1919 by the old boys of the school to record the names of the young men from Smalley village school who gave their lives in the First World War. Triple ‘S’ Fabrications Ltd of Loscoe designed, made and installed the poppy – a gift from them to Smalley’s ‘boys’. The Parish Council gave £100 to the Royal British Legion.